History of Servants of Charity
The institute was founded in Como on March 24, 1908 by St. Luigi Guanella, (1842 – 1915). He was sensitive to issues of social outcasts and the handicapped. This gave birth to a religious community to provide the needs of the poor. The motto of the congregation is “In Omnibus Caritas” (In all things Love). The congregation obtained the recognition of ecclesiastical institution of pontifical right with decree of praise, 1912 and was again approved in 1928.