Guanella Lay Movement
We joyfully notice that the number of lay people, to whom the Lord shares the Guanellian charism, is growing together with the propagation of many lay groups who take their inspiration from the charism of our Founder. To the Guanellian laity too, as well as to the Daughters of St. Mary of Providence, the Servants of Charity, and the Guanellian Cooperators, the Holy Spirit communicates the grace and the inspiration of the Founder so that they may carry on within the Church His ministry of charity.u00a0 They gratefully welcome the precious gift of a u201cheart of charityu201d which motivates them in their commitment and responsibility. The Guanellian laity should acquire the spirituality of Saint Guanella whose heart is to be found in the Divine paternity and in the far-sighted tenderness of Mary.u00a0They should commit themselves to know the life and mission of St. Guanella, of Blessed Clare Bosatta and study how to interpret and live, as laity, the Guanellian charism, spirituality and mission.
Guanellian Cooperators are defined as, u201cThose who choose to live the spirit, charism and mission of the Founder in an official and public form by making a promise to live their Catholic faith in the footsteps of St. Louis Guanella.u201d St. Louis Guanella had the foresight to understand many years ago, that his mission would not succeed without the help of the laity. The publication Making Charity the Heart of the World, states that u201cThe Guanellian Lay Movement is essentially a choice of mind and heart; only a vital commitment.
All men and women who appreciate the charism of charity can be members of the Movement:
- Those who want to follow the example of St. Guanella by simply serving the poor
- Youth, volunteers, families, benefactors, friends and sympathizers
- Those who are prompted to charity because of the education and formation received in one of the Guanellian Houses (Alumni)
- Residents of our Houses
- Family members of our residents
- Staff of our pastoral, missionary, charitable centers
- u2018Associatesu2019 who attach themselves to the Guanellian religious in order to live community life with them.u201d